IWCF Drilling Well Control Level 3Book Now
- 5.0 days
- Drilling and Well Control
Drilling Well Control training has been developed by the International Well Control Forum (IWCF) for personnel in critical well control roles on offshore drilling installations or onshore.
The training covers management of wellbore pressures, maintaining primary well control, prevention and detection of a kick, management of a kick, equipment used, and secondary well control.
Level 3 IWCF Drilling Well Control training consists of two written assessments and a practical assessment using simulator equipment. The practical assessment is usually conducted in pairs of a driller level candidate (level 3) and a supervisor level candidate (level 4).
View the IWCF syllabus for Drilling Well Control Level 3.
Delegates completing an IWCF Drilling Well Control Level 3 training course will be able to:
- Maintain primary well control
- Deal with an influx or losses
- Understand surface equipment, principles and procedures
- Understand combined surface and subsea equipment, principles and procedures
- Set up for drilling
- Recognise drilling break and positive kick
- Perform a shut-in with the shortest possible time by following appropriate procedure
- Complete a kill sheet and kill a well using designated procedure (wait & weight or driller's method)
- Bring a pump up to kill speed maintaining constant bottom hole pressure
- Operate a remote choke and make adjustments in accordance with the time delay to maintain constant bottom hole pressure
- Complete a well kill operation
Equipment operators who have to perform an action to prevent or respond to a well control accident and supervisors who specify and have oversight that correct actions are carried out.
Level 3 is available for any role expected to shut in a well.
There are no formal prerequisites for an IWCF Drilling Well Control Level 3 training course.
Delegates can go directly into level 4 at a company's discretion, however IWCF advise delegates to progress from level 2, to level 3, to level 4.
Kirkhill Commercial Park, Dyce Avenue,
Dyce, Aberdeen, AB21 0LQ
An IWCF Drilling Well Control certificate will be issued upon successful completion of this training course.
The certificate must be revalidated every 2 years.
Delegates should bring
- Government issued photographic ID e.g. Driver's Licence or Passport
- A calculator