OPITO Authorised Gas TesterBook Now
- 2.0 days
- Health & Safety and Management
OPITO Authorised Gas Tester prepares personnel for a gas tester role.
Delegates will be equipped with the knowledge to conduct gas tests for oxygen levels, flammable and toxic gases safely. This includes conducting gas testing within confined spaces, and awareness of associated confined space hazards.
The training will also cover relevant legislative requirements, gas measuring and monitoring equipment and documenting gas test results.
By the end of this training programme the delegate will be aware of:
Confined space criteria including;
- Type of operations being tested for flammable and toxic gases
- Carrying out a suitable and sufficient risk assessment
- The implications of statutory and organisational requirements
- Accessing and interpreting operational instructions
- The strengths and weaknesses of various types of atmospheric flammable and toxic gas detection equipment
- Acceptable levels of flammable gases and the correct amount of oxygen
- Correct selection of aspirating or non-aspirating detectors to obtaining representative atmosphere samples
- Gas detector pre-start checks
- Determining the extent of the test boundaries
- Interpreting normal and abnormal results
- Documenting the results and advising relevant personnel
- The behaviour of different gases
- The implications of WEL for toxic gases and LEL for flammable gases
- Performing Gas tests in sequential order
- Where to site portable or transportable equipment that will be used to continuously monitor
Personnel preparing to work as Authorised Gas Testers who are required to perform a gas test for oxygen, flammable and toxic gases in confined spaces or hot work sites including hot work safety watch duties.
There are no formal prerequisites for this course.
An OPITO Approved certificate will be issued upon successful completion of this course.
This course must be revalidated every 3 years.
Delegates should bring
- Government issued photographic ID e.g. Driver's Licence or Passport