OPITO Rigger Competence (Stage 3) Competence AssessmentBook Now
- 2.0 days
- Lifting Operations
The course will: require candidates to complete a series of practical exercises to demonstrate their skills, knowledge and understanding of rigging and lifting operations.
Rigging and Lifting Handbook
The RigEx Rigging and Lifting Handbook is a pocked-sizes book available to provide essential information throughout your training and in your job roles.
The handbook is available to purchase with your training >>
By the end of the assessment the delegate will have demonstrated the ability to:
- Identify potential hazards associated with the lifting operation and implement control measures
- Plan the route for lifting and moving the load to minimise any risk to personnel and surroundings
- Communicate, discuss and ensure understanding of the prepared lifting plan and risk assessment
- Obtain the resources identified in the lifting plan required to move the load, following rigging loft procedures
- Carry out pre-use inspection of lifting equipment and lifting accessories
- Attach the lifting accessories to the load using industry best practice
- Install and position the lifting equipment for balanced weight distribution
The candidate must be able to demonstrate that they know and understand:
- The employer’s responsibilities under Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations
- The hazards associated with a lifting operation and the purpose of a risk assessment and lifting plan
- The relevant roles of personnel involved in lifting operations, and typical reporting lines
- Load movement route planning methods and areas near the load where it is unsafe to stand
- Rigging principles, SWL, WLL and angles of lift and considerations to ensure load stability, security and weight distribution
Personnel who wish to become OPITO certified competent riggers - having successfully completed the OPITO Stages 1 & 2 Rigger Training and Workplace Experience, or possess sufficient and relevant work experience to be eligible for the OPITO Stage 3 assessment.
- A valid OPITO-approved Stage 1 Rigger Training Certificate and a fully completed and valid logbook, based on the OPITO Stage 2 Rigger Standard workplace requirements Or
- A formal letter from the candidate’s employer or senior employer representative stating that the candidate has met the equivalent of the OPITO Stage 2 lifting experience logbook criteria. The formal letter should include details of the employer/senior employer representative’s position in the company, full contact details, and be signed and dated by the employer /senior employer representative
- Due to certain aspects of the course being physically demanding and potentially stressful, delegates will be required to confirm their medical fitness & physical ability to participate on this course by completing our centre medical self-screening form prior to course commencement
An OPITO Approved Rigger Competence (Stage 3) Assessment certificate will be issued upon successful course completion.
The course must be revalidated every 2 years.
Delegates should bring
- Government Issued Photographic ID eg Driver Licence or Passport
- £1.00 coin for locker
- Copy of existing qualification
- Safety Glasses or Goggles if prescribed