OPITO Banksman & Slinger Initial Training (Previously Stage 1)Book Now
- 3.0 days
- Lifting Operations
An OPITO-approved Stage 1 Banksman and Slinger course covers the safety and regulatory requirements of Banksman and Slinger activities.
Delegates will learn to direct a crane operator during lifting activities, and prepare and 'sling' loads for lifting before releasing the loads at their destination.
The course includes practical exercises and a theory test to ensure delegates can demonstrate the knowledge required to safely participate in or supervise lifting operations.
By the end of an OPITO-approved Stage 1 Banksman and Slinger course delegates will:
- Be aware of the relevant regulations pertaining to lifting operations (e.g. LOLER and PUWER)
- Be able to assess loads in terms of their weight and centre of gravity
- Have an understanding of SWLs and colour coding
- Be able to carry out pre-use inspections on equipment to ensure safe lifting
- Be able to sling loads and ensure they are secure and ready for lifting
- Be conversant with the correct hand and radio signals to be used
- Be aware of the correct use of different lifting equipment (e.g. slings, shackles and chains)
- Familiar with the correct packing and stowage of containers, half heights and correct securing methods
- Be aware of all safety precautions to be taken whilst working with cranes in terms of issues such as safe
An OPITO-approved Stage 1 Banksman and Slinger course is for personnel who are involved in banking and slinging cranes offshore, and those who supervise such work.
Due to certain aspects of an OPITO-approved Stage 1 Banksman and Slinger course course being physically demanding and potentially stressful, delegates will be required to confirm their medical fitness and physical ability to participate on this course by completing our centre medical self-screening form prior to course commencement.
An OPITO-approved certificate will be issued upon successful completion of an OPITO-approved Stage 1 Banksman and Slinger course.
The certificate must be revalidated every 32 months.
Delegates should bring
- Government Issued Photographic ID eg Driver Licence or Passport
- £1.00 coin for locker
- Wet Weather Gear & set of dry clothing
- Safety Glasses or Goggles if prescribed