OPITO Rigger Training (Stage 1)Book Now
- 3.0 days
- Lifting Operations
OPITO Rigger Training Stage 1 is the first stage of OPITO's route to competence certification and reassessment for rigging personnel.
The Stage 1 OPITO Rigger course provides knowledge of the principles that support the correct slinging of different types of loads. Delegates will learn to inspect and use rigging and all associated equipment including the safety precautions which must be taken.
The Rigger course is a mix of theoretical and practical sessions, during which delegates will be required to demonstrate their level of knowledge and understanding of the training programme content.
Rigging and Lifting Handbook
The RigEx Rigging and Lifting Handbook is a pocked-sizes book available to provide essential information throughout your training and in your job roles.
The handbook is available to purchase with your training >>
By the end of this Stage 1 OPITO Rigger course delegates will:
- Understand the role of the rigger and be aware of the relevant regulations pertaining to rigging operations
- Be able to assess loads in terms of their weight and centre of gravity
- Have a good understanding of SWLs, colour coding and inspection requirements
- Be able to carry out pre-use inspections on equipment used in rigging operations to ensure safe lifting
- Be able to sling loads and ensure they are secure and ready for lifting
- Be conversant with the correct hand and radio signals to be used
- Be aware of the correct use of different rigging equipment (eg chain blocks, tirfors, slings, shackles and chains)
- Be able to prepare and lift loads using rigging equipment, and to use cross hauling techniques to safely move and deposit various loads
- Be aware of all safety precautions to be taken whilst working with rigging equipment in terms of issues such as safe stances
- Be able to restore the work area and be aware of post-operational requirements.
The Stage 1 OPITO Rigger course is for all personnel who are involved in rigging and lifting operations and those who supervise such work.
Due to certain aspects of the Stage 1 OPITO Rigger course being physically demanding and potentially stressful, delegates will be required to confirm their medical fitness and physical ability to participate on this course by completing our centre medical self-screening form prior to course commencement.
Kirkhill Commercial Park, Dyce Avenue
Dyce, Aberdeen, AB21 0LQ
An OPITO approved certificate will be issued upon successful completion of the Stage 1 OPITO Rigger course.
The certificate is valid for 2 years.
Delegates should bring
- Government Issued Photographic ID eg Driver Licence or Passport
- £1.00 coin for locker
- Safety Glasses or Goggles if prescribed
- Coveralls, Safety Boots, Safety Glasses & Safety Gloves